For reasons out of anyone’s control the last year has often felt “1 step forward, 2 back”
We can’t be together this spring for EMU 2021 but we can still share,
learn from each other, and support one another
There is a whole community of people who “get it”
THIS PROJECT IS PURELY VOLUNTARY
It is not clinical, not competitive, and will not make you famous.
However, if you participate, you will:
- FEEL better, SLEEP better and SPEND SOME TIME OUTSIDE
- Be supported by a community who has a pretty good idea
of what the last year has been like for providers in Emergency Medicine
- Training can be as complex as you would like to make it.
Maybe even gear up for the next NYRR 5th Avenue Race!?
EACH WEEK WE WILL SEND ONE STRUCTURED WORKOUT
- Plan for one hour in total
- Try to commit to at least one other light run or brisk walk for a total of two hours per week
- Start distance will be one mile
- Tips to keep you comfortable, motivated, and healthy will be shared routinely
- As a final HURRAH to completing the project together a final one-mile run
will be completed during EMU 2021
GET READY, SET, GO!
- No time for exercise recently
- Recovering from injury
- Documented allergy to running
- Currently exercise at least once per week
- 10km within the last ten years
STEP 2 – WARMUP
Minimum 15 minutes brisk walking or jogging at a conversational pace (may alternate between walking and running)
Goal is to literally warm up, not to be uncomfortable or out of breath
STEP 3 – WORKOUT
Pick the category below that best describes your relationship with running. Each week you will receive a workout created specifically for the option chosen option.
STEP 4 – COOLDOWN
15 minutes of brisk walk/jog home to complete one-hour total
THE WHY, THE WHAT, THE HOW
WHY 1 MILE?
- The distance is less than you walk during one shift
- You can do this already
- This distance has a long history
WHAT EQUIPMENT DO I NEED?
- Running shoes that don’t hurt your feet
- Layered clothing (less than you might think once you get moving)
- Any watch. If you want to invest in a smartwatch which measures HR, pace, etc., a world of statistical analysis awaits.
HOW MUCH TIME DO I NEED TO COMMIT?
- For best results: 1 hour midweek and 1 hour on the weekend. Able to do more? GREAT!
I LIVE IN ______. WHAT ABOUT THE WEATHER?
- Well, it is what it is
- Once you’re out the door, you’ll notice all the others braving the elements!
- Wear what they wear
- Your EMU community has your back!
WILL ANYONE KEEP TRACK IF I MISS A DAY/WEEK?
- Not unless you want them to
- No judgy here, just support!
- You are amazing for the person you are, the people you support and the work that you do
- Any degree of activity is a bonus
ARE THE PEOPLE LEADING THIS TRACK STARS OR SPORTS MEDICINE EXPERTS?
- Not at all
- Just folks that enjoy being active