Updated December 12, 2021
- the Conference and Digital Format of the Conference
- the Conference website (emupdate.ca) and its related subdomains including those pertaining to registration for attendance at the Conference and to be a volunteer at the Conference (collectively “websites”);
the Conference apps and the web-app;
- online surveys relating to the Conference;
- messages sent via the Conference support portal; and
- the Conference official social media channels.
Personal information processed in connection with the Services is controlled by North York General Hospital located at 4001 Leslie Street, Toronto, Ontario, M2K 1E1, Canada.
2. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
When we provide the Services, we collect and receive information in several different ways. In many cases, you choose what information to provide, although some information is required for us to provide you the Services.
2.1 Directly from you, or approved third parties.
We collect a variety of information from you when you provide it to us directly, when we request it from you, or when you give us permission to get it from a third party source.
- Attendee registration information. When you register to attend the Conference, you must provide us with basic information such as name, address, email address, telephone number, date of birth. We also give you the option to provide additional information.
- Volunteer registration information. When you register to volunteer at a Conference, you must provide us with basic information such as name, address, email address, telephone number, and date of birth. We also give you the option to provide additional information.
- Payment and credit card information. When purchasing tickets to attend a Conference, you must provide us with your name, address, telephone number, email address, credit card, debit card or bank information. This information will only be shared with third parties such as our ticketing provider, Ti.to, or Stripe, who perform tasks required to complete the purchase transaction.
- Conference app profile information. To attend the Conference, you are required to download a Conference app. You will have the option of providing us with additional profile information in the Conference app, such as name and email address, and whether you want your profile information to be discoverable within the app by other attendees and partners of the Conference. Certain profile information may be included on our Featured Attendees page.
- Conference survey responses. We may ask you to participate in optional surveys regarding your experience at the Conference in order to help us improve the event and for related commercial purposes.
- Attendee Support customer messaging software. So that we may provide customer services and respond to and resolve any enquiries or complaints.
- Third party social media accounts. If you choose to connect your social media account(s) with the Conference app, we may receive certain information from that account, such as your title, picture, and other information you authorize. We may use your friends or connections lists to make recommendations in the Conference app, for example to suggest mutual connections.
- Call recordings. We may contact you for the purposes of sales, investment, or in the context of your past or future attendance at or participation in a Conference. In certain cases, we may record such calls for our legitimate interests in staff training and development.
2.2 From your browser or device.
We automatically collect certain information from your browser or device when you use certain Services or read a message from us.
For example, we collect:
- data regarding the device you are using, such as its unique identifier and operating system; logs will be recorded by our servers based on the information sent from your app or browser;
- information automatically as you navigate through our websites using cookies and other tracking technologies. (Information collected automatically may include usage details, email address, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies and other tracking technologies).
Information may be recorded by cookies and similar technologies when you use the Services.
2.3 From public sources.
We also collect publicly available information from your social media accounts.
2.4 Speaker participation.
If you choose to apply to join us as a Speaker you will complete an application including your name and contact details and any other information necessary to review and to get in touch with you.
If your application is successful, you will be asked to share more Personal Data in order for you to participate in our event, for example, to complete your Speaker profile. The amount of information you share depends on your participation but generally includes your name and email address.
3. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use your information in order to provide, operate, improve, understand, customize, support, and market our Services, including:
3.1 Providing and improving the requested Services.
We use your personal information as necessary to run the Conference, such as to register attendees, issue tickets, facilitate information sharing with partners with whom you have consented for us to share information, and provide you with relevant connections and content during the Conference based on this information and your use of the Conference app.
3.2 Communicating with you.
We use your personal information to contact you regarding your registration to attend, volunteer or speak at a Conference, to notify you of any changes to our policies and practices, for commercial, sales or investment purposes, and to respond to any requests or inquiries you may submit to us. If you subscribe to marketing, such as newsletters, we will use your information as described below. To opt out of our newsletters, please click the unsubscribe button at the bottom of marketing emails from us or alternatively email us via the contact info below. We may collect information from these communications to improve our Services and for the training and development of our staff.
If you opt-in to receiving marketing communications from us, we will use your personal information for outreach and marketing, such as to send you information about our future Events and to exhibit attending companies. You can opt-out of these communications by using the unsubscribe links in our communications or by changing your Conference app settings. We may also use your information in order to market the Events. For example, we sometimes use your image in our published list of Events attendees. If you want to object to this use, please contact us here via the contact details at the bottom of this page.
Cookies & Web Beacons.
We may use information from beacons and cookies collected from your use of our website and app to target your online activity, browser or apps, with certain advertisements. We may also use these tools to determine the popularity of certain content or advertisements on our website.
3.5 Third-Party Tracking.
We may use third party tools such as Facebook Advertising, Facebook Pixel Remarketing, LinkedIn Insight Tag, and Google’s remarketing technology. These tools allow us to understand and deliver ads and make them more relevant to you. The collected data remains anonymous and we cannot see the personal data of any individual user.
We use your personal information to be able to show you advertising on other websites.
3.7 Combining your data for personalized direct marketing.
To help us form a better, overall understanding of you as a customer, we combine your personal data gathered across our cookies, form submissions, chat functionality on our websites and from our app, for example when you request to receive email communications from us. In order to do this, we also combine the data that we collect directly from you with data that we obtain from third parties to whom you have given your consent to pass that data onto us. These third parties include Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin and Twitter. If that combination permits you to be identified, we will treat the combined information as Personal Data for as long as it is combined.
4. LEGAL BASES FOR PROCESSING YOUR INFORMATION
- when necessary to perform the Terms and Conditions or to provide you with the Services;
- where you have consented to the processing, which you may revoke at any time;
- when necessary for us to comply with a legal obligation, a court order, or to exercise and defend legal claims;
- when necessary to protect your vital interests, or those of others, such as in the case of an emergency;
- where you have made the information manifestly public;
- where necessary in the public interest; and
- where necessary for the purposes of our, your, or a third party’s legitimate interests, such as those of partners or other attendees or volunteers.
5. OUR LEGITIMATE INTERESTS
As indicated above, in certain cases we use your information where necessary to pursue our, your and others’ legitimate interests, including where necessary to:
- Keep the Services safe and secure. We use your information as it is necessary to pursue our legitimate interests, or those of our attendees, our volunteers or our partners in ensuring the Conference is a safe and secure event, such as enforcing our Terms and Conditions. We also act in the legitimate interests of these parties with respect to our Conference website, app and other Services, such as by implementing and enhancing security measures and protections and protecting against fraud, spam and abuse.
- Provide, develop and improve the Services. We process your information as necessary to pursue our legitimate interests in improving the Conference and our other Services, such as our Conference websites and apps. For example, we use your information in order to conduct access control and enforce security at the Events. We also use your information to conduct data analysis and analytics across our Services. In certain cases, and where you have not objected, we may record sales and other calls to you for our business interests in the training and development of our staff.
- Market the Services. We process your information in accordance with our legitimate interests of marketing the Conference and the Services to you. For example, we use your information to market future Events to you and to exhibit attending companies. We may also use your image in our marketing materials in order to highlight the attendees participating in our Events. We also use photos and audio-visual footage from past Events which may contain your image or voice. If you want to exercise your right to object to any of these uses please email us via the email at the bottom of this page.
6. SHARING WITH THIRD PARTIES
6.1 Sharing with other attendees and Partners.
Our Services, such as the Conference app, provides attendees with the means of making connections with other attendees. For example, the profile information that you choose to provide us will be accessible to other attendees of the Conference, subject to your settings. QR code scanning functionality on your badge is activated by default. You can provide your information to other attendees and partners by allowing them to scan the QR code on your attendee badge at our Events and/or by clicking “Connect” or accepting the connection request on the Conference App with another Attendee or Partner. Once this happens, you may consent to the sharing of your contact information with these individuals and companies.
In order to further our legitimate interests in marketing the Services, we rely on third-party marketing platforms and service providers to assist us and perform certain marketing services for us.
If you share your email address with us we might use information we hold about you to tailor sponsored content on social media sites, like Facebook, Google or Twitter. We securely match encrypted email addresses via our third party processor. The social media site can only see an email address if it’s already used for an account on their site. We don’t provide any new data on users.
We share your personal information with common advertising platforms such as Facebook, Google and LinkedIn to show you advertising when you use those services.
6.4 Third party service providers.
We may share your personal information to help us operate, provide, improve, understand, customize, support, and market our Services. These third parties provide us with services including for customer support, data storage and website hosting, ticketing and payments processing, legal advice and compliance, and marketing and data analysis. These third parties are contractually required to use it only to provide their service to us, and prohibited from using it for their own purposes.
6.5 Business reorganization.
In instances where we are subject to a reorganization, such as a merger or acquisition of some or all of its assets, we may, in accordance with our legitimate interests, need to share information in the course of the transaction. In such circumstances, your information may be disclosed, where permitted by applicable law, in connection with such corporate restructuring, sale, or assignment of assets, merger, or other changes of control or our financial status.
6.6 Legal and safety reasons.
We may retain, preserve, or share your personal information if we have a good-faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to (a) respond, based on applicable law, to a legal request (such as a subpoena, search warrant, court order, or other requests from government or law enforcement); (b) detect, investigate, prevent, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; (c) protect our rights, property, or safety; (d) enforce our Terms and Conditions or any other agreements we have with you; or (e) prevent physical injury or other harm to any person or entity, including yourself and members of the general public.
6.7 Aggregated information.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, such as counts of attendee job titles or their affiliated companies, with companies we do business with, including our advertisers, partners as well as other organizational members.
7. DATA RETENTION
8. DATA TRANSFERS
As a global business, we access and transfer information around the world. If you are based in the EU, this means that we access and transfer your personal information outside the EU, including in and to the United States. The privacy protections and the rights of authorities to access your personal information in some of these countries may not be the same as in your home country. We transfer your personal information in accordance with law and take steps to ensure that your information is appropriately protected.
In particular, where we transfer information to countries that are not viewed as providing adequate protections, we generally rely on an approved mechanism known as the “standard contractual clauses” to protect the information transferred. These are template contracts published by the European Commission containing approved commitments to protect the privacy and security of the information transferred. To request a copy of the clauses, please contact us.
9. YOUR RIGHTS
You have a number of rights in relation to the information that we process. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. We describe these rights below.
9.1 Access and Porting.
You can access much of your information by logging into your Conference profile. If you require access to additional information, or you do not have a Conference profile, please contact us. Where legally required, we will provide your information in an easily accessible format and assist in transferring some of this information to third parties.
9.2 Rectify, Restrict, Delete.
You can amend, update and delete some of your information by logging into your Conference profile. If you don’t have a Conference profile or want us to amend, update or delete other information, please contact us.
Where we process your information based on the legitimate interests described above, or in the public interest, you can object to the processing in certain circumstances. We will generally stop processing your information unless we have compelling grounds to continue processing, such as where needed for legal reasons. Where we use your information for direct marketing, you can always object using the unsubscribe link in such communications, changing your profile settings or by contacting us. When we inform you that we will record a call to you, we will provide you with the opportunity to object to such recording.
9.4 Revoke consent.
If we have specifically asked for your consent to use your information, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. For example, if we ask for your consent for direct marketing purposes, you can revoke your consent using the unsubscribe link in such communications, changing your profile settings or by contacting us.
If you wish to raise a concern about our use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local supervisory authority.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We strive to use appropriate technical and organizational skills to protect your personal information. Despite these measures, the Internet is not a fully secure environment and we cannot guarantee that your personal information won’t be intercepted or improperly accessed.
Attendees under 18 years of age may attend the Conference if accompanied by an adult or guardian, depending on the age of the attendee. You can find further information on our age limitations in our Terms and Conditions.
12. HOW CAN YOU STOP THE USE OF PERSONAL DATA BELONGING TO YOU FOR DIRECT MARKETING?
There are several ways you can stop direct marketing communications from us:
- Click the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email communication that we send you. We will then stop any further emails.
- Email us at the contact details at the bottom of this page.
Please note that you may continue to receive communications for a short period after changing your preferences while our systems are fully updated.
13. CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
CALIFORNIA CONSUMER PRIVACY ACT (CCPA)
California residents may ask us to provide them with a list of the types of personal data that we have disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes, and the identity of those third parties. If you would like such a list, please contact us. with subject field: “CCPA”. If you exercise your rights, we will not charge you different prices or provide different quality of services. We don’t sell personal data to third-parties.
Once we receive your request, we may verify it by requesting information sufficient to confirm your identity, including by asking you for additional information. If you would like to use an agent registered with the California Secretary of State to exercise your rights, we may request evidence that the agent has valid written authority to submit requests to exercise rights on your behalf.