TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Updated December 12, 2021
PART A – OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH YOU
Who we are
We are North York General Hospital (defined as “we”, “us” and “our” throughout) whose registered office is at 4001 Leslie Street, Toronto, Ontario, M2K 1E1, Canada.
Structure of terms
The agreement is between us and the person who completes the relevant Conference online registration form (“you” or “your”). Your agreement with us consists of:
PART A (OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH YOU);
PART B (GENERAL TERMS FOR ALL DELEGATES);
PART C (ATTENDEE TERMS), which contains terms specific to registered attendees attending a Conference (“Attendee”, “you”, “your”);
PART D (ADDITIONAL POLICIES) your use of the mobile application and website (“App”) is also subject to the following policies:
(collectively, the “Terms”).
, which explains the types of information collected, stored, shared and processed in connection with the North York General Emergency Medicine Update Conference (“Conference”), how and why we use such information, who we share it with and your legal rights.
Your agreement with us
You should read this document carefully. These Terms govern your online registration, attendance at and/or participation at the Conference. By registering for the Conference you agree that you have read and accepted these Terms and agree to be legally bound by them. If you do not wish to be bound by these Terms, please do not register, attend or participate in the Conference.
Registering on behalf of another
If you are registering on behalf of another person it is your obligation to make sure that the person attending is aware of these Terms and accepts them. By completing and submitting the registration form you are representing and warranting that you have made the person attending aware of these Terms and that they have accepted these Terms.
Changes to this policy
These Terms apply to you from the date of publishing and until these Terms are superseded by a new version. We may update these Terms at any time for legal or regulatory reasons, or to reflect changes in our services or business practices. Any amended Terms will be posted here
We have done our best to explain things clearly for you in this document but if you have any questions, please let us know.
Our contact address is 4001 Leslie Street, Toronto, Ontario, M2K 1E1, Canada;
For questions about registration or assistance with any registration problems, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any other questions, concerns, or complaints, you may contact us at email@example.com
PART B – GENERAL TERMS FOR ALL DELEGATES
- Admittance to conferences
We, in our sole discretion, and without any liability or obligation to refund, reserve the right to refuse admittance to or to eject from the Conference anyone that we determine:
- is behaving in a manner that could disrupt, hinder or cause a nuisance to the Conference or to the enjoyment of any other person or partner at the Conference;
- represents a security or health & safety risk to the Conference or to any person or partner; and/or
- fails to comply with, or is likely to fail to comply with, these Terms.
You may view our anti-harassment policy here
You agree to comply with all applicable laws in connection with your attendance or participation at a Conference.
- Changes or cancellation of a conference
We try to make sure that the Conference programmes, speakers, topics and venues and dates are correct at the time of publishing, circumstances beyond our control may necessitate substitutions, alterations, postponements, or cancellations to the content, format, themes, name, performers, hosts, moderators, venue, timing or dates of a Conference. We reserve the right to do so at any time and will not be liable to you for any cost incurred by you as a result (including, without limitation, travel, accommodation and other expenses).
We will endeavour to notify you as soon as reasonably practicable of any substitutions, postponements, or changes by posting the updated information on emupdate.ca
IF THE CONFERENCE IS POSTPONED, WE WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH SUBSTITUTE PASSES TO THE CONFERENCE AT A LATER DATE. NO REFUNDS WILL BE PROVIDED IF THE CONFERENCE IS POSTPONED.
In the unlikely event of cancellation of a Conference, our total aggregate liability to you is limited to the refund of paid fees that remain after credit card and payment processing fees have been incurred and deducted, and we will not be liable to you for any expenditure, damage or loss incurred by you as a result of the cancellation.
- Photography, audio and video recording
Any use of photographic, audio, video or other recording equipment at a Conference is strictly prohibited unless it is approved by us in writing in advance.
By attending the Conference you acknowledge and agree that the Conference (or any part of it) may be photographed or recorded by us or our partners. You agree to permit us, or any third party licensed by us, to use, distribute, broadcast, or otherwise globally disseminate your likeness, name, voice and words in perpetuity in television, radio, film, newspapers, magazines and other media now available and hereafter developed, both before, during and any time after the Conference, and in any form, without any further approval from you or any payment to you. This grant includes, but is not limited to, the right to edit the media, the right to use the media (alone or together with other information), and the right to allow others to use or distribute the media.
- Your attendance at a conference
You are responsible for advising us at the time of making your booking regarding any special access requirements you require at the Conference.
You are responsible for arranging your own appropriate insurance cover in connection with your attendance or exhibition at a Conference. We and our related companies will not be liable for any injury or damage to any person or to any real or personal property however caused (except for death or personal injury as a result of our negligence or for any other type of liability that cannot by law be excluded or limited).
During the Conference, you shall conduct yourself in an orderly manner and shall not act in any manner which causes offence, annoyance or inconvenience to other Attendees. Attendees shall not canvass, promote, advertise or solicit for business in a manner which, in our sole discretion, is deemed unacceptable. We reserve the right to remove from the Venue any attendee who we consider in our reasonable opinion contravenes applicable laws or regulations or our policies and procedures or those of the Venue, is likely to cause offence or annoyance or is otherwise inappropriate or does not comply with these terms.
The Conference is environmentally conscious and promotes a paperless event, where possible. As an attendee, you undertake not to distribute promotional materials or similar items.
- Refund and cancellation
Your ticket remains our property and is a personal revocable license, which may be withdrawn, and admission to a Conference may be refused at any time upon a refund of the printed registration price.
If you are eligible under applicable law to avail of a right to cancel your purchase of a ticket within 14 days without giving any reason and to receive a reimbursement of payments, you need to notify us in writing of your decision to cancel your Conferences ticket within 14 days of the day the contract for distance selling was concluded. The refund will be made in the same form as the original payment was received (for example, a credit card payment will refund to the same credit card account number).
All purchases of Conference tickets are non-refundable in their entirety after the end of this 14 day ‘cooling off’ period.
Our free and subsidised ticket promotions sometimes include a processing fee. This processing fee is non-refundable in its entirety.
- No reselling
The tickets you purchase are for your own personal use or that of your business only and may not be resold under any circumstances, including but not limited to use as part of any promotion or competition. This includes subsidized tickets.
Reselling or otherwise transferring your ticket, not in accordance with the Terms, will void the ticket and the ticket holder will not gain entry into the Conference. Where there has been any resale or attempted resale of any tickets (or any other breach of this term), we reserve the right to cancel the relevant tickets with immediate effect.
We reserve the right to cancel any ticket purchase made by any person or body whom we reasonably believe to be associated with any ticket reselling or ticket broker.
- Wristbands and lanyards
For security and identification reasons, we require all delegates to:
- display on their wrist the official Conference wristband;
- display around their neck the official Conference lanyard containing their badge; and
- carry photo identification and display it at all times on request.
- Visa requirements
It is your sole responsibility to take care of visa requirements. If you require an entry visa to attend, volunteer or exhibit at the Conference, you must allow sufficient time for the visa application procedure.
In the event you are not granted a visa, we are under no obligation to refund your ticket unless you are eligible under applicable law to avail of a right to cancel your purchase of a ticket within 14 days of the day the contract for distance selling was concluded.
- Intellectual property rights
All intellectual property rights in and to the Conference, the Conference content, and all materials distributed at or in connection with the Conference are owned by us, our related companies, and/or the Conference sponsors or speakers attending the Conference. You must not reproduce or allow anyone to reproduce trademarks or materials distributed by or on behalf of us at a Conference for any reason, without our prior written permission.
Nothing in these Terms shall vest in you any legal or beneficial right in or to any intellectual property rights owned or used under licence by us or our related companies, or grant to you any right or licence to any other intellectual property rights of us or our related companies. All such intellectual property rights shall remain the exclusive property of us and our related companies.
It is strictly forbidden for any company, organization, or person to attempt to host or organize any event in conjunction with, contiguous to or purporting to be related to a Conference or its affiliates without the express prior permission and cooperation of us. We reserve their right to take such action (legal or otherwise), including a claim for damages as we, in our sole discretion, deem appropriate in the circumstances.
- Acceptable Use
When accessing and using the Website and its related subdomains you are prohibited from:
- violating any law, statute, ordinance or regulation;
- using the App for any illegal purpose and you agree to use it in accordance with all relevant and applicable laws;
- promoting or providing information about illegal activities, promoting physical harm or injury against any group or individual, or promoting any illegal acts;
- uploading or transmitting through the App any computer viruses, macro viruses, Trojan horses, worms or anything other harmful activity;
- overriding any security feature of the Website or jeopardize the security of your account or someone else’s account (such as allowing someone else to log in to the Website or use the App as you);
- interfering with the operation of, or places an unreasonable load on, the Website (such as viruses, denial of service attack or gaming algorithms);
- using manual or automated software, devices or other means or processes to access, scrape or crawl the Website or any content or information contained in it or the App;
- engaging in ‘framing’, ‘mirroring’, or otherwise simulating the appearance or function of the Website;
- removing any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notices contained in or on the Website or from the Conference;
- modifying, creating derivative works or copying or storing any significant portion of the Website or Conference or any related technology (unless allowed by law or we expressly authorize);
- using filming equipment or other devices to record the Conference;
- using the Website (or any part of it) in a manner which may result in; (i) the Website and/or the Conference being interrupted, damaged, rendered less efficient or such manner designed to interfere with, interrupt or disrupt the normal operating procedures of a computer or Website; (ii) sharing any material which is unlawful, libellous, abusive, obscene, pornographic, discriminatory, harmful, fraudulent, deceptive, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar invasive of another’s privacy, hateful or otherwise objectionable, defamatory, offensive, or of an obscene or menacing character, or that may cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; (iii) impairing the effectiveness or functionality of the Website or the Conference; or (iv) violating or infringing the rights of any person, firm or company (including, but not limited to, IP, confidentiality and/ or privacy) of the Website;
- attempting to grant any unauthorized access to any part or component of the Website;
- copying or distributing any part of the Website in any medium without our prior written consent; and
- altering or modifying any part of the Website other than as may be reasonably necessary to use the Website for its intended use; or
- reverse engineering, decompiling, disassembling deciphering or otherwise attempting to obtain the source code or underlying ideas or information of or relating to the Website or any related technology, or any part thereof unless allowed by law;
- Compromising the security of the App such as transmitting viruses, malware or destructive code;
- Attempting to circumvent restrictions on access or usage;
- Tampering with the App or accounts of users such as hacking;
- harvesting, gathering or sharing private information from the conference, App or accounts of its users without consent; or
- Partaking in hostile activities aimed at damaging the conference, App or accounts of its users.
We may terminate or restrict your use of our App if you violate these Terms or are engaged in illegal or fraudulent use of the App.
- Your Contribution and Messages
We may permit you to send messages and other communications to us or to other users via the App and/or Website (“Messages”). You are solely responsible for your Messages and the consequences of sending them, and expressly release us and agree to hold us harmless, from all and any liability arising from your Messages. You grant us (and we accept) a global right to use, store, and reproduce your Messages for the limited purpose of facilitating sending them to your chosen recipients (and we may also use third party service providers to facilitate the sending of your Messages). You represent and warrant that your Messages will not infringe any third party right of others. You acknowledge and agree that the provisions of our Content Guidelines and Anti-Harassment policy shall also apply to Messages that you send.
- Impersonating or misrepresenting an individual or entity in a manner that is considered misleading or deceptive;
- Partaking in activities that are considered fraudulent, unlawful or false, such as scams;
- Using our site in any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation;
- Sending mass solicitation material without intent or purpose, such as spam;
- Knowingly transmitting any data, or sending or uploading any material, that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware;
- Knowingly sending, receiving, uploading, download, using or re-using any material that does not comply with our content standards;
- Violating the privacy of individuals, or distributing confidential or personal information relating to individuals;
- Violating or infringing any intellectual property or proprietary rights of individuals or entities, including but not limited to copyrights.
You may not use your username, display name, or profile bio to engage in any practice prohibited by these Terms and Conditions.
To the extent permitted by the applicable law, we disclaim all warranties or conditions, either express or implied, or any part of them in respect of any aspect of a Conference or any related materials. You acknowledge and agree that in accepting these Terms you have not relied on any representation or warranty that is not expressly included in these Terms and you agree that you shall have no remedy in respect of any misrepresentation which has not become a part of these Terms.
- Limitation of Liability
You acknowledge and agree that views expressed by speakers at or in connection with the Conference are their own and we do not accept any responsibility or liability for any advice given or views expressed during or in connection with the Conference.
Materials shared or distributed at or in connection with the Conference are intended for information purposes only and should not be relied upon by you or others. We and our related companies do not provide any guarantees, conditions or warranties that the materials are complete or accurate and do not accept any responsibility or liability for reliance by you or any person on any aspect of the Conference and/or any information provided at the Conference.
To the fullest extent allowed by applicable law:
(a) we and our related companies shall not be liable to you whether, in contract, tort (including for negligence), misrepresentation, restitution or otherwise for any loss of profits; loss of sales or business; loss of agreements or contracts; loss of anticipated savings; loss of income; loss of opportunity; loss of or damage to goodwill; loss of use or corruption of software, data or information; and/or similar losses or pure economic loss, or for any indirect or consequential loss, costs, damages, charges or expenses however arising under or in connection with the performance or contemplated performance of the Terms, even if we had been advised of the possibility of same in advance; and
(b) subject to paragraph (c) (below), our total aggregate liability in contract, tort (including negligence), misrepresentation, restitution or otherwise, arising under or in connection with the performance or contemplated performance of the Terms is limited to the total amount paid by you to us for your ticket to participate and access the Conference, after the payment of any processing fees or bank charges applicable.
(c) Nothing in these Terms purports to exclude or limit liability for any fraudulent statement or act or in respect of any liability that cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
It is possible that the Conference may not be available at any given time due to (a) power or server outages or issues (b) update or maintenance periods (c) as a result of a war, acts of God, flood, drought, earthquake or other natural disaster; (d) epidemic or pandemic; (e) terrorist attack, civil war, civil commotion or riots, war, threat of or preparation for war, armed conflict, imposition of sanctions, embargo, or breaking off of diplomatic relations; (f) nuclear, chemical or biological contamination or sonic boom; (g) any law or any action taken by a government or public authority; (h) collapse of buildings, fire, explosion or accident; (i) any labour or trade dispute, strikes, industrial action or lockouts; (j) non-performance by suppliers or subcontractors; (k) interruption or failure of utility service and/or (l) electronic or communications failure. We will make reasonable efforts to provide you with notice of interruption to the Conference. Where the Conference is unavailable for reasons beyond our control, we shall have no liability to you.
We are not liable if the Conference is, in whole or in part, cancelled, rescheduled or postponed, or for any failure or delay to perform our obligations under these Terms, if such event results from anything beyond our reasonable control (for example (a) power or server outages or issues (b) update or maintenance periods (c) as a result of a war, acts of God, flood, drought, earthquake or other natural disaster; (d) epidemic or pandemic; (e)terrorist attack, civil war, civil commotion or riots, war, threat of or preparation for war, armed conflict, imposition of sanctions, embargo, or breaking off of diplomatic relations; (f) nuclear, chemical or biological contamination or sonic boom; (g) any law or any action taken by a government or public authority; (h) collapse of buildings, fire, explosion or accident; (i) any labour or trade dispute, strikes, industrial action or lockouts; (j) non-performance by suppliers or subcontractors; and (k) interruption or failure of utility service , (l) electronic or communications failure y) or anything else that renders performance of the Conference, in whole or in part, impracticable, illegal or impossible.
- Force majeure
We are not liable if a Conference is, in whole or in part, cancelled, rescheduled or postponed, or for any failure or delay to perform our obligations under these Terms, if such event results from anything beyond our reasonable control (for example, natural disasters, flood, fire, acts of terror, war, labour strike, extreme weather malicious damage, compliance with any law or governmental order, or mechanical, electronic or communications failure or degradation, or any other emergency) or anything else that renders performance of a Conference, in whole or in part, impracticable, illegal or impossible.
- Governing law and jurisdiction
This interpretation, formation and operation of the Terms and all non-contractual obligations arising from or connected with them shall be governed by and construed in accordance with, and all disputes between the parties arising out of or in any way relating to the Terms or any disputes between the parties in any way connected with the subject matter of these Terms (whether contractual or non-contractual) shall be governed by, the laws of Ontario Canada.
Each of the parties submits to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Canadian Courts.
Nothing contained in the Terms shall limit our right to bring enforcement proceedings in another jurisdiction or to seek interim, protective or provisional relief in the courts of another jurisdiction.
- Some final terms
If a court with jurisdiction over these Terms finds that any part of these Terms is wholly or partly unenforceable, you and us agree that where possible, the court should modify the terms to make that part enforceable while still achieving its intent. If the court cannot do that, you and us agree that the court should not have regard to that unenforceable part but still enforce the rest of these Terms.
If we fail to insist that you perform any of your obligations under these Terms or we do not act or delay in acting to in exercise a right or remedy provided by these Terms that does not mean we have waived our rights or remedies against you and will not mean that you do not have to comply with your obligations.
These Terms are personal to you. You agree not to assign or transfer your rights or obligations under these Terms to anyone else without receiving our prior written consent. We may assign or transfer these Terms without your consent by providing you with notice.
You and us agree that no agency, partnership, joint venture, or employment is created as a result of these Terms and you do not have any authority of any kind to bind us in any respect.
You agree that the only way you can provide us with a legal notice is at the address(s) set out in Part A above.
To the extent allowed by law, the English language version of the Terms is binding and any translations are for convenience only.
In these Terms:
- a reference to the Terms includes all its parts described in Part A, and includes any amendment to or replacement of them;
- headings are for reference purposes only and do not form part of the Terms;
- a reference to a statute, code or other law includes regulations and other instruments under it and consolidations, amendments, re-enactments or replacements of any of them;
- the singular includes the plural, and vice versa; and
- “includes”, “including”, “for example”, “such as” and similar terms are not words of limitation.
If you are a consumer, nothing in these Terms excludes any of your applicable consumer or other statutory legal rights that cannot be waived.
PART C – ATTENDEE TERMS
Tickets and pricing
You will find details of attendee ticket pricing and fees for a Conference here
. Ticket prices for the Conference are correct at the time of publication.
We reserve the right to change the ticket prices at any time but any changes will not affect tickets that have already been purchased.
A valid ticket entitles you to entry to the Conference as an Attendee but does not include any requirements associated with travel to or from the Conference or any accommodation costs incurred and we shall have no liability for such costs or expenses.
In certain cases, free or subsidised tickets may be offered. In these instances, tickets must be assigned within 7 days of receipt of your ticket in accordance with the details provided in the above paragraph.
Once a successful ticket transaction has been completed, tickets are delivered in electronic soft-copy via email to the email address nominated by the Attendee. For some ticket types it may be necessary to complete required information such as the Attendee name or tax identification number before the tickets can be issued.
The ticket acts as a receipt for the transaction and can be used to gain entry to the Conference listed on the ticket.
All tickets must be assigned to an Attendee, and all Attendee details must be complete within 30 days of receipt of your ticket. For the avoidance of doubt, this includes name, job title, company name and a passport-style photo. Ticket reassignment after this date is subject to the Terms.
We may from time to time offer certain discounted ticket promotions to encourage attendance at a Conference. We are not obligated to offer any discounts for the Conference and reserve the right to change or withdraw a discount offer at any time at our sole discretion.
Ticket name changes
If an Attendee finds that they cannot attend a Conference they must notify us as soon as possible (and in any event no later than 7 days before the commencement of the Conference) by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org and request a name change on their ticket. We may at our absolute discretion allow the name change.
Please note there are no pets or animals permitted, except service animals.
Part D ADDITIONAL TERMS
You are also subject to the following policies which govern your access to and use of the Website, the App and the Conference: